#47: Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman – Understanding the human needs, finding meaning in life and pursuing life goalsJun 23, 2020
Listen to it on your favorite podcast provider:
How do you pursue the right goals and find meaning in life? Pretty big questions. My guest in the episode, Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman is a big name globally in the humanistic psychology space and has a suggestion on this from a psychological standpoint.
In our enchanting conversation, Dr. Kaufman told me what got him into psychology and described his most monumental rework of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.
In this conversation, Dr. Kaufman reveals segments of his last book where he updates the common understanding of Maslow’s theory by exploring less-well-known writings of Maslow’s, and also by incorporating more recent empirical psychological studies. He suggests the more dynamic model that complements the modern fast pace of living, incorporating some standard basic security needs then expanding into more creative and dynamic capabilities. It’s an interesting take on the importance of appreciating that the nature of our lives is constantly changing and I really hope that this talk will help all kinds of minds to live a creative, fulfilling, and self-actualized life.
Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman has taught courses on intelligence, creativity, and well-being at Columbia University, NYU, the University of Pennsylvania, and elsewhere.
Scott likes to share his enthusiasm of psychology through his teaching, writing, speaking, and podcast. He writes the column Beautiful Minds for Scientific American and hosts The Psychology Podcast, which has received over 10 million downloads. Kaufman’s writing has appeared in The Atlantic, Psychology Today, and Harvard Business Review.
Scott received a Ph.D. in cognitive psychology from Yale University, and an M. Phil in experimental psychology from the University of Cambridge under a Gates Cambridge Scholarship. In 2015, he was named one of “50 groundbreaking scientists who are changing the way we see the world” by Business Insider.
Things Scott did in his past life:
- Scott was director of research at the 2e Center, Bridges Academy.
- From 2014-2017, Dr. Kaufman was at the University of Pennsylvania, where he was the scientific director of the Imagination Institute. In this role, he oversaw a project to advance the measurement, growth, and improvement of imagination across all sectors of society. The Imagination Institute funded 16 research projects to advance the measurement of imagination. They also hosted gatherings of the world’s most imaginative and creative people across 12 domains of human progress (the “Imagination Retreats“).
- At the University of Pennsylvania, he also taught the course “Introduction to Positive Psychology”, which was one of the most popular courses at the university.
- Dr. Kaufman is on the advisory board of The Future Project, a non-profit dedicated to working with schools to unlock the limitless potential of every young person in this country.
- Dr. Kaufman co-founded The Creativity Post with Milena Fisher and Elliot Samuel Paul.
- Dr. Kaufman is classically trained in vocal performance and likes to sing musical theatre (his inspiration is Terrence Mann). He also plays the cello (he was taught by his grandfather Harry Gorodetzer, a member of the Philadelphia Orchestra), and he likes to dances hip hop recreationally.
- In 2005 and 2007, Scott was rejected from American Idol. So he did what he does best: he analyzed how to win American Idol.
0:30 Introduction to Scott Barry Kaufman
1:37 Dr. Barry Kaufman’s journey to Psychology and human potential
2:55 Updating Maslow’s hierarchy of needs
7:05 What does it mean to become the best version of yourself
10:45 Be more, Do less state of life
13:13 How to be more passionate about the things you are doing
16:05 Getting to the stage of being the best version of yourself
18:55 Benefits of Gratitude Journaling Practice
21:20 Pointers for pursuing the right goals
28:02 Surprises that Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman encountered while working on his latest book
31:03 The real meaning of happiness
32:20 Connect with Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman
34:50 Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman advice on how to satisfy our needs
Connect with Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman
Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman’s books:
- Transcend: The New Science of Self-Actualization https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49625550-transcend
- Wired to Create: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Creative Mind https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24611590-wired-to-create
- Ungifted: Intelligence Redefined https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16043513-ungifted
- The Psychology of Creative Writing https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6621403-the-psychology-of-creative-writing
Scott’s 2019 NeuroLeadership Summit talk on self-actualization and his new hierarchy of needs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtEIKKfhSaI
Scott’s latest TEDx talk on twice-exceptionality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih5caeD06ms
If you like today’s episode, then please subscribe and leave a review so more people can learn about the podcast
Get access to news and updates!
Join the mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.